Midlands Reptiles Venom Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone remember this story in the news?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone remember this story in the news? Empty Anyone remember this story in the news?

Post  Tom Charlton Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:59 am

I remember seeing this story in the news back when it happened. Apparently a scottish venomous keeper by the name of Garrick Wales headed out to America to pick up a shipment of African snakes including a 4ft Black Mamba and a Forest Cobra, and was nailed whilst handling them in his car (as you do!). Anyone ever heard of this guy?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4083422.stm

http://news.scotsman.com/snakebitedeath/Snakebite-death-link-to-murky.2531436.jp
Tom Charlton
Tom Charlton

Back to top Go down

Anyone remember this story in the news? Empty Re: Anyone remember this story in the news?

Post  slippery42 Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 am

I remember reading it at the time and seeing an article somewhere suggesting that it was suicide!

I'd never heard of the guy and dont know anyone who did know him.

Perhaps he was like the government iraq guy who allegedly killed him self?

Bring on the conspiracy theories I love em"!!!

slippery42

Back to top Go down

Anyone remember this story in the news? Empty Re: Anyone remember this story in the news?

Post  David Nixon Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:21 am

I remember it well - although I thought it was a green mamba.

Dave
David Nixon
David Nixon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:47 am

interesting to see the over-hyped reporting in some places... but nevertheless this case just underlines the seriousness of the hobby and proves it is not one to be taken lightly!
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Charlton Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:51 am

David Nixon wrote:I remember it well - although I thought it was a green mamba.

Dave

The article states that there was a twig snake, black mamba, green mamba, boomslang and forest cobra in the box, unless your thinking of the green mamba that nailed an electrician in florida earlier this year?
Tom Charlton
Tom Charlton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Nixon Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:05 am

No, I'm thinking of the report you are talking about - I knew there were more, now yiu say boomslang I remember - there was green and black.

Dave
David Nixon
David Nixon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 am

Is it true about not being able to tell which snake it came from? Or do the types of venon of the snakes listed in the news article give similar symptoms? maybe a question for Brian?

Cheers Smile

Matt
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Petrie Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Matt,
Regards the venoms, the Black and Green Mambas would be roughly the same, the Boomslangs and Twig Snake would be the same, and the Forest Cobra would be quite like the Mambas. There are differences in the three groups of snakes, but to most people, the signs and symptoms would be hard to tell apart. Obviously, the Boomslang bite would be easy to tell apart from the Mambas, but probably not the Green from the Black.
Cheers,
Brian.
Brian Petrie
Brian Petrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum