Midlands Reptiles Venom Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM animal planet march 16th

5 posters

Go down

THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM animal planet march 16th Empty THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM animal planet march 16th

Post  afalbusa Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 pm

THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM
World Premiere Tuesday, March 16, at 9 PM (ET/PT)

Steve Ludwin is an American living in London England who regularly injects the deadly venom from his pet snakes into his body. He is one of a handful of extraordinary ‘self-immunisers’ who believe that venom has amazing medicinal properties. Steve is about to embark on a bizarre journey of discovery from his home in London to Florida where he will meet world renowned doctors and fellow ‘self-immunizers’ to learn if this baffling self-experimentation could lead to a ground breaking medical discovery or possibly an early grave.

Has any one got any more info

afalbusa

Back to top Go down

THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM animal planet march 16th Empty Re: THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM animal planet march 16th

Post  Owen Roberts Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:37 am

I got told about this a while ago I think... though I thought it was going to be on channel 5

Maybe I am thinking of a different programme....
Owen Roberts
Owen Roberts

Back to top Go down

THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM animal planet march 16th Empty Re: THE MAN WHO INJECTS VENOM animal planet march 16th

Post  afalbusa Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:17 am

I copy and pasted the above straight from the animal planet website.

Andy.

afalbusa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Charlton Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Steve is coming over mine this coming weekend, i might find a bit more out about the show then.

cheers, Tom
Tom Charlton
Tom Charlton

Back to top Go down

Post  afalbusa Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Channel 5 Wed. 14th of April in the uk apparently.

afalbusa

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen Roberts Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 am

O ok it is the one I am thinking of then

Should be worth a watch.
Owen Roberts
Owen Roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  afalbusa Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Tom Charlton wrote:Steve is coming over mine this coming weekend, i might find a bit more out about the show then.

cheers, Tom

Did you find anything out Tom.

afalbusa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Charlton Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Yep, the showing on march 16th was only in America, its going to be aired in the UK on Channel 5 this Wed 14th at 8pm. Should be interesting!
Tom Charlton
Tom Charlton

Back to top Go down

Post  simon Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:58 pm

so after seeing the show, what are peoples opinions?
simon
simon

Back to top Go down

Post  afalbusa Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 am

There is no dout that self immunising builds up antibodies to the venoms that these peaple are injecting, but without proper medical research and papers being written to prove that there are benefits to health or other ailments then the argument will still carry on. Time will tell if Dr derk Budker comes up with any thing or this was just for the camera's, Tim Friede and Terry Phillips on venom centre have some very interesting discussions on the subject and I'm sure any real research results will be very welcome, me personally, I think Ill sit on the fence.

afalbusa

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:57 pm

It seems to me there are 2 main trains of thought on this topic.....

The first one is people who inject venom in order to build up the resistance to the effects of venom should they get bitten, to me this provides many pitfalls. First of all the possibility of developing an alergy through overexposure to certain components of the venom thus defeating the point of "self immunising" in the first place. Secondly the risks associated with injecting a modified saliva, as Wolfgang stated in the documentary, with little or no regard for sterilisation strikes me as careless. Finally there are obvious risks associated with injecting venom when alone. I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be handling/keeping an animal you aren't confident with, and therefore you shouldn't need to immunise against the possible risks.

The second idea of people injecting venom for the possible health benefits seems a much better idea to me in theory. For me personally however the same risks as above would still apply, however if there was scientific proof that a certain component of snake venom was beneficial and was available in nutraceutical/pharmacalogical form then I would cetainly have less reservations.

Whether we see the people who currently inject snake venom into their bodies as pioneers or mis-informed thrill seekers there can be no denying this is certainly an interesting topic with (of course) many conflicting viewpoints. It is certainly one I look forward to hearing more about in future as developments show whether snake venom can be used as a cure for certain diseases....

Matt
Matt
Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum